funsec mailing list archives

plugin-container.exe

From: Robert Slade <rmslade () shaw ca>
Date: Tue, 07 Dec 2010 09:01:53 -0800

Earlier this morning, I was loading news stories onto my laptop
so that I could read them later.  (Since the client site is
sticky about visitors, and has me sit cooling my heels in their
reception area before I can get in.  Firing up Web pages to
read later tends to work unless the laptop decides not to
hibernate this time.)

I noticed that the taskmgr process indicator was pegged at
green, so I took a look at processes, and something called
plugin-container.exe was taking up half the cycles.  I did
a search, and found that it is a Firefox process that loads
stuff like Adobe, Quicktime, and Silverlight in a process
separate from Firefox, so that, if that active content crashes,
it doesn't crash the browser (which seems like a darn good
idea).  So I killed the process.  So far everything
seems fine.  I'll have to see if there are any problems on
the pages, but I suspect that most of the active content was
just in ads.