funsec mailing list archives

Re: Your Facebook account. Give it to me.

From: Joel Esler <joel.esler () me com>
Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2011 23:33:42 -0500

On Tue, Jan 04, 2011 at 03:45:17PM -0800, Rob, grandpa of Ryan, Trevor, Devon & Hannah wrote:
http://www.cbc.ca/technology/story/2011/01/04/calgary-airport-wifi-privacy.html

If you want to use Wi-fi in Calgary airport, you have to give them access to your
Facebook info.

(Actually, it sounds like this is one option, the others being to pay for hotspot
access.)

I suspect that this is just Facebook trying to build their attempt at becoming an
"identity provider": lots of sites now allow you to "log in" with Facebbok
credentials.  It's probably turning up in news from Calgary because Canadian
privacy laws say you have to warn people that you are accessing information.  I
suspect it may be happening other places.

Any Facebbok app, of course, is allowed to access *all* of your Facebook
information.  There does seem to be a way to limit access of "remote" apps, but I
don't know how effective that is.

Yeah, I don't see this going bad at all.

EVER.

</sarcasm>