funsec mailing list archives

Re: Fwd: [Infowarrior] - GOP pushing for ISPs to record user data

From: Jeffrey Walton <noloader () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2011 02:28:46 -0500

On Tue, Jan 25, 2011 at 1:36 AM,  <Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu> wrote:
On Mon, 24 Jan 2011 22:54:59 CST, Dan White said:
My hope is that whatever laws we end up with are ultimately based around
traditional warrant based prosecution rather than 'give us all your logs on
the first of every month'.

Three words: National Security Letters.

Two more words: Warrantless wiretaps.

Combine that with an officially stated position by the Bush administration
that even the FISA court fig leaf warrants are too burdensome (and not
officiallyrepudiated by the Obama administration as far as I know), and the
known abuse of NSL's and other surveillance methods, I don't hold out
much hope for laws based on "traditional warrant based prosecution" unless
we see a sudden sea change in DC.
My thoughts exactly. The best I can tell, my own government is a
greater threat to me that Bin Laden and friends.

Jeff