funsec mailing list archives

Re: Anonymous not freedom fighters

From: Paul Vixie <vixie () isc org>
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2011 15:51:26 +0000

Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2011 02:33:07 -0500
From: Jeffrey Walton <noloader () gmail com>

http://www.redbarn.org/blogs/vixie/rule

Just to play devil's advocate....

    In the past few weeks a lot of people have been forcibly denying
    Internet service to a lot of other people for political reasons that
    each attacker thinks are valid. I don't think there's any possible
    moral justification for this behaviour...

Does that include the US attempting to shut down Wikileaks' Internet
access? It kind of the same thing, isn't it?

not to me.  i'm talking distributed denial of service attack, DDoS, which
according to me (http://www.icann.org/committees/security/sac004.txt) is:

   2.1. The most common attack on Internet hosts or infrastructure at the
   time of this writing is to cause the receipt of too much traffic,
   consuming all available resources on a victim's host or Internet
   connection.  This is often called a "Denial of Service" (DoS) attack.

it may be that governments of countries who claim to want to export freedom
to the world should not be trying to kill domain names where no laws are
being broken, but that's a separate topic from what i was getting at in my
"rule of law" blog post.