funsec mailing list archives

Re: Eat this, it's good for you ...

From: Nick FitzGerald <nick () virus-l demon co uk>
Date: Sat, 14 May 2011 19:52:06 +1200

Randy Abrams to ferg to Rob Slade [un-top-posted]:

http://au.news.yahoo.com/odd/a/-/odd/9268075/police-dress-up-as-doctors-to-test-citizens/

This supports my research that states that 86% of the population are idiots. ;-)

I think Bontchev's research from 15 years ago set that a t 97%

Kinda...

Not to be too much of a stickler for the facts, but I'm fairly sure it
was a bit less than 15 years back.  In fact, it was toward the end of
the "macro virus scourge" years, so maybe little more than a decade
back!

Oh, and Bontchev's research sets 97% as a lower bound.  Recognizing
that his data had obvious sampling biases toward the "smarter end" [??]
of the spectrum (those who would choose to use antivirus products), the
Boncthovian hypothesis (as an expert in almost all things V. V.
Bontchev, believe me, that is the right adjectival form!) is actually
"_at least_ 97% of people are idiots" (emphasis added, but surely
approved by VBB!).

Regards,

Nick FitzGerald