funsec mailing list archives

Graffiti meets YouTube

From: "Rob, grandpa of Ryan, Trevor, Devon & Hannah" <rmslade () shaw ca>
Date: Thu, 26 May 2011 10:02:37 -0800

A company called Autonomy, which has been selling image search technology, has
launched an apparently freely available (open?) project called Aurasma.  At the
moment only available on iPhone 4, this allows you to "augment" the reality
(that the mobile device sees) by adding video to overlay it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-13558137

In the article, the reporter/commentator opines that this is a cute trick, but only
that.  I'm going to go out on a limb and predict that this assessment is short-
sighted (albeit only if the technology expands to other platforms).  Given that
YouTube users are uploading 48 hours of video to the site every minute of the
day, I suspect that the ability to create video graffiti, and "tag" it to any vista,
location, or object, will be irresistable.

Apparently the company thinks this will be a platform that companies will use to
create ads, to promote their products or shops at related locations.  They probably
will.  However, myriad users will be creating other content, for the same images,
and we will have SEO (Search Engine Optimization) battles that will make the
malware and phishing sites we see now pale in comparison.  The Tokyo Chamber
of Commerce or tourism board may wish to overlay video over certain landscapes
or landmarks, but how will they stand up against thousands of geeks who've all
seen Godzilla?

======================  (quote inserted randomly by Pegasus Mailer)
rslade () vcn bc ca     slade () victoria tc ca     rslade () computercrime org
Britain and America are the only countries in which none of the
`Big Brother' housemates has been seen having sex.  (I think the
reasons are slightly different: we are inhibited, while the
Americans are prudish.)           - Kate Fox, `Watching the English'
victoria.tc.ca/techrev/rms.htm http://www.infosecbc.org/links
http://blogs.securiteam.com/index.php/archives/author/p1/
http://twitter.com/rslade