funsec mailing list archives

Re: Citibank hacked by URL fuzzing?

From: Drsolly <drsollyp () drsolly com>
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2011 19:35:51 +0100 (BST)

What I don't get, is how come anyone reads this "news", when we all know
how much effort is put into it.

On Wed, 15 Jun 2011, security curmudgeon wrote:

On Wed, 15 Jun 2011, Drsolly wrote:

: Here's how it works.
:
: Journo: "Are you a security expert?" Village idiot: "Yes"
:
: Thus, the village idiot is now a securoty expert.

What Drsolly said.

Then it gets worse.. when said village idiot does this three times, s/he
then begins to tell journalists "i've spoken on CNN, MSNBC, Fox, The Onion
.." and they sound even more impressive.

I still don't get why a journalist who does not vet a source, believes
that other outlets will vet their sources.