funsec mailing list archives

Bitcoin vs spam?

From: "Rob, grandpa of Ryan, Trevor, Devon & Hannah" <rmslade () shaw ca>
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2011 16:50:39 -0700

I was explaining the recent Bitcoin attack to Gloria, and noted the estimate
someone had given that a 10^5 strong botnet could generate $97,000/annum.
The analyst had noted that Bitcoin attacks might not be popular, since standard
botnet operations, such as spam, netted more revenue than that.

Then I suddenly remembered that, over the past week, a number of observers have
noted a decline in spam volumes.

I wonder if some botherders, possibly not as good at math, converted some of
their networks?

======================  (quote inserted randomly by Pegasus Mailer)
rslade () vcn bc ca     slade () victoria tc ca     rslade () computercrime org
        Don't bother to agree with me, I've already changed my mind.
victoria.tc.ca/techrev/rms.htm http://www.infosecbc.org/links
http://blogs.securiteam.com/index.php/archives/author/p1/
http://twitter.com/rslade