funsec mailing list archives

Random numbers are too important to be left to chance ...

From: "Rob, grandpa of Ryan, Trevor, Devon & Hannah" <rmslade () shaw ca>
Date: Sat, 27 Aug 2011 14:07:35 -0700

We all know (or should) the significance of "random" to crypto, and therefore to
many aspects of security.

"That's why for more than a decade now, many of [Intel]'s chip sets have included
an analog, hardware-based random-number generator. ... That's why we have now
developed a new and entirely digital system that allows a microprocessor to
produce a copious stream of random values without those difficulties. Soon it will
be coming to a processor near you.'

<http://spectrum.ieee.org/computing/hardware/behind-intels-new-randomnumber-
generator/0>

Anyone who considers arithmetical methods of producing random numbers is, of
course, in a state of sin.
                                            - John Louis von Neumann

Actually, it looks like a fairly cool idea, although, having done some discrete
component level circuit design and construction in years gone by, I find it slightly
suspect ...

(Subject line courtesy of Robert R. Coveyou, Oak Ridge National Laboratory)

======================  (quote inserted randomly by Pegasus Mailer)
rslade () vcn bc ca     slade () victoria tc ca     rslade () computercrime org
[He] had met decent men and fools and people who'd steal a penny
from a blind beggar and people who performed silent miracles or
desperate crimes every day behind the grubby windows of little
houses, but he'd never met The People - Night Watch, Terry Pratchett
victoria.tc.ca/techrev/rms.htm http://www.infosecbc.org/links
http://blogs.securiteam.com/index.php/archives/author/p1/
http://twitter.com/rslade