funsec mailing list archives

Re: Has Amateur Codebreaker Cracked 'Zodiac Killer' Letter?

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2011 16:47:37 -0400

On Tue, 26 Jul 2011 15:35:53 EDT, Jeffrey Walton said:
http://www.securitynewsdaily.com/has-amateur-codebreaker-cracked-zodiac-killer-letter--0991/

Probably not the correct solution.

http://directorblue.blogspot.com/2011/07/zodiac-killers-code-cracked.html

"...According to Robert Graysmith, in "Zodiac," tips received by police after
Darlene Ferrin's murder indicated that the killing was connected to the U.S
Virgin Islands. Starliper believed that the "340" of the 340 cipher was
significant, and had some tie-in with the U.S. Virgin Islands. It was then that
he found out that 340 is the area code for a portion of the U.S Virgin Islands
- not an insignificant connection.

"So that's what I started with," said Starliper. "I thought, there's no way ...
that Zodiac is going to be prosaic enough not to mention the U.S. Virgin
Islands in this code. This is where it gets even creepier. 3+4+0=7. Right. So
you get 7+0=7. 707...707 are the area codes for Vallejo, Napa, and Solano. So I
figured, why not start this with [letter substitution] code using 3,4."

Too bad that it was written in 1969, but the 340 area code wasn't assigned
till years later....