funsec mailing list archives

Re: Microsoft Online Customer Service

From: "Marc" <marc () marcd org>
Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2011 21:23:27 -0400

 Crazy huh?  There were also talking about the removal of teaching how
to write in Cursive and only teaching the kids how to sign their names....
Not knowing where countries are would be bad.  But I don't see any
downside to losing cursive, myself; can't remember the last time I wrote
anything in it.  It could become an amusing obscure hobby...

DC

My daughter (6) saw my wife writing in cursive (I write primarily in
'microscopic tech/engineer print').  She was fascinated and started
learning to write in cursive at home - and she is good at it.  She decided
to try her new found skill in school.  She was scolded (the teacher wrote
'Do not write in cursive!' on her paper) and she was marked down in her
penmanship 'grade' (which aren't grades any more, but that's a subject for
another thread).  So much for encouraging self-learning.