funsec mailing list archives

Re: Speaking of ethics ...

From: <michael.blanchard () emc com>
Date: Fri, 5 Aug 2011 14:13:52 -0400

Interesting....
\@virusbtn: Does the security industry need a voluntary code of ethics?
http://bit.ly/rs6KzO

 So let me paint a scenario:

  Company ABC has machines that are compromised with malware that is being controlled by and is sending confidential
information up to the C&C boxes that Mcafee refers to in Shady RAT.  Lets say that ABC company got compromised in
December last year.  They are also a customer of Mcafee.  So, McAfee's been following this C&C network since 2009 and
never told anyone until recently.  This March McAfee blocks their clients from being able to connect to this C&C
network and I assume this is when they tell the 72 companies that they're Pwned as well.
    So, Company ABC has been leaking confidential information up to the C&C for 3 months, potentially hundreds of
millions of dollars worth of intellectual property has been leaked until McAfee says something in to them in March.

  Who is liable?  Is this a lawsuit waiting to happen with McAfee being the defendant?  If a Security research firm
knows of a compromise, and doesn't immediately notify, wouldn't that make them liable for any damages?  I'd say yes, if
they don't' notify the company within a reasonable amount of time, they should be held liable for any losses.  This has
been going on for over 2 years if not longer....  Why weren't these 72 companies notified right away about what they
found?

Just my 2 cents worth for now :-)

Michael P. Blanchard
Senior Security Engineer, CISSP, GCIH, CCSA-NGX, MCSE
Office of Information Security & Risk Management
EMC ² Corporation
32 Coslin Drive
Southboro, MA 01772