funsec mailing list archives

Facebook's facial recognition system, why it's scary

From: Jeffrey Walton <noloader () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 5 Aug 2011 19:19:05 -0400

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-501465_162-20088678-501465.html

Remember last weekend, when you were at that party and friends were
snapping photographs to post on Facebook? What if that seemingly
innocent act could lead to identity theft or real-life stalking? Fear!

In a recent study done at Heinz College, Carnegie Mellon University
(CMU) called "Faces of Facebook: Privacy in the Age of Augmented
Reality," Alessandro Acquisti, Ralph Gross and Fred Stutzman reported
on the "consequences and implications of the convergence of three
technologies: face recognition, cloud computing, and online social
networks."

Presented on Thursday at the Black Hat Technical Security Conference,
the study argued that with current technology, we could be
"re-identified" and have our social security numbers stolen. The three
experiments discussed are eye-opening.