funsec mailing list archives

Conflicting AVs

From: "Rob, grandpa of Ryan, Trevor, Devon & Hannah" <rmslade () shaw ca>
Date: Mon, 8 Aug 2011 14:21:31 -0800

Well behaved anitvirus programs can safely work together in peace and harmony.

Unfortunately, relatively few AVs are well behaved.

On my new desktop, I've got Avast (came with the machine, has a free version,
and is a pretty good product) and MSE (it's free, and it's pretty safe for most users,
although, as a professional, some parts of it irk me).  I've set both to ignore the
virus zoo, although they aren't too good at taking that restriction to heart.

MSE quarantined a few samples before I got things tuned.  Of course, it doesn't
have any function to get stuff out of "quarantine."  (As I say, as a professional
this is irksome, but, considering the average user, I'd say this is a darn good thing.)

Today Avast gave me a warning of some dangerous files.  They were the ones
MSE quarantined.

(In case anyone is interested, the quarantine seems to be in
\ProgramData\Microsoft\Microsoft Antimalware\LocalCopy.)

======================  (quote inserted randomly by Pegasus Mailer)
rslade () vcn bc ca     slade () victoria tc ca     rslade () computercrime org
     Dilbert: Was that supportiveness or sarcasm?
     Dogbert: You only *think* there's a difference.   - Scott Adams
victoria.tc.ca/techrev/rms.htm http://www.infosecbc.org/links
http://blogs.securiteam.com/index.php/archives/author/p1/
http://twitter.com/rslade