funsec mailing list archives

Amex clueless about security--so what else is new?

From: "Rob, grandpa of Ryan, Trevor, Devon & Hannah" <rmslade () shaw ca>
Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2011 15:51:01 -0700

American Express is, as far as I know, alone among major financial institutions
(for large values of "major") in sending out phish-like messages (
http://blogs.securiteam.com/index.php/archives/1328 ).  Pretty much every other
bank has gotten the message: don't send email to your customers, and alert them
that if they receive email, it's not from you.

(I'm still getting those messages, by the way.  Ironically, it's because I don't want
them.  If I want to tell Amex to turn them off, the only way I can do that is to
register to receive them.  Explain to me the logic underlying that process ...)

Amex is also alone in not providing an email account to which you can send
phishing messages.  I guess Amex doesn't want to do any more takedowns than
they absolutely have to.

As a security pro, I've got contacts; personal contacts; in many major banks and
financial institutions.  These are people who work in phishing and malware
takedowns, and I've encountered them in the course of my research into same
over the years.  I've never come across anyone from Amex.  I've never had
anyone from Amex in any of my seminars.

So, it is no great surprise that when a researcher recently found a gaping hole in
Amex security, he had a very hard time letting Amex know about it:
http://qnrq.se/full-disclosure-american-express/

======================  (quote inserted randomly by Pegasus Mailer)
rslade () vcn bc ca     slade () victoria tc ca     rslade () computercrime org
Alcohol, it seems, has the specific power to make *working-class*
people violent and abusive.  Which if you think about it is truly
miraculous--a much more impressive magical feat than rain-making.
                                  - Kate Fox, `Watching the English'
victoria.tc.ca/techrev/rms.htm http://www.infosecbc.org/links
http://blogs.securiteam.com/index.php/archives/author/p1/
http://twitter.com/rslade