funsec mailing list archives

Re: [techs] Big Brother does not like Occupy?

From: David M Chess <chess () us ibm com>
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2011 17:10:11 -0500

"Yaron Y. goland" <yaron () goland org>:

Sorry for the politics, but this does seem to be rather significant.
What is the risk
analysis when the agency you create to defend yourself from terrorists
starts
terrorizing your citizens?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/cifamerica/2011/nov/25/shocking-truth-
about-crackdown-occupy

There's a rebuttal / debunking (from someone not hostile to the underlying
ideas) here:

http://www.alternet.org/occupywallst/153222/naomi_wolf%E2%80%99s_%E2%80%98shocking_truth%E2%80%99_about_the_%E2%80%98occupy_crackdowns%E2%80%99_offers_anything_but_the_truth/

As I said in a facebook thread (no idea how to link to those), "the points
(1) through (6) that Holland agrees with are enough for me to think this
is sad and scary and important. (I'm also surprised by his claim that none
of the Occupy folks he's talked to mentioned Congress and insider trading;
maybe he did his interviews before that story broke.) " and on the general
"police agencies have conference calls alla time, it's okay" response, I
wrote:

"Well, if what they were talking about was basically how to get away with
violating the right of the people peaceably to assemble, which I think
they basically were, it bothers me. If they'd all been talking about how
to make sure that everyone's rights were respected and no one got hurt,
that'd be fine... "

I spent a few hours at Occupy Wall Street (the day after the Big Eviction
of the tent-city); it was great:

http://ceoln.wordpress.com/2011/11/18/friday-18-november-2011/
http://ceoln.wordpress.com/2011/11/18/p-s-i-bought-a-stretchy-hat/
http://ceoln.wordpress.com/2011/11/19/occupyin/
http://ceoln.wordpress.com/2011/11/20/the-political-side/

As always, and especially, these comments are my own, and do not
necessarily reflect anything whatever about my employer.

DC