funsec mailing list archives

Re: 15 Mind-Blowing Facts About Wealth And Inequality In America

From: David M Chess <chess () us ibm com>
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2011 12:09:46 -0400

Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu :

Tell you what - call it "the politicans *and* the filthy rich who bribed
them
to support their money-making schemes" and I'm all in. ;)

Yep, I'll take that too.  :)

With the proviso that modern "bribery" isn't always just the slipping of
money from palm to palm in a back alley.  It's also the structuring of
policies and regulations and so forth to benefit one particular group,
because one is a member of that group, or expects to be in the future, or
receives various benefits from that group, or has lunch with them, or
belongs to the same country-clubs, even when the quid-pro-quo is quite
subtle.  Not so much "if I don't vote for this bill, FredCo won't pay me
off on Tuesday", but more "if I don't continue pushing regulation in this
direction, the boys at FredCo won't invite me to eat with them at the
Club, and when I leave government they're unlikely to hire me to an
overpaid executive position".  And subtler...

DC