funsec mailing list archives

Re: Where's the Steve Jobs of IT security?

From: Jeffrey Walton <noloader () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2011 20:24:56 -0400

On Wed, Oct 19, 2011 at 7:21 PM, Rob, grandpa of Ryan, Trevor, Devon &
Hannah <rmslade () shaw ca> wrote:
Saw this article asking "Where's the Steve Jobs of IT security?"
http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9220964/Where_s_the_Steve_Jobs_of_IT
_security_

Trouble is, I'd just read an article on the new iPhone feature ...

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-20122632-94/bad-siri-shell-let-
anyone-use-a-locked-iphone-4s/
Lots of folks are complaining about Siri.

Remember: Apple is a consumer hardware company. Under their mantra,
they have no pressures to get their software right, make their
software secure, or support the Enterprise with things such as PKI and
centralized administration.

I only use my MacBook for development on iPhones/iPods/iPads. But
Apple has managed to seriously degrade the development tools and brick
the hardware. My 6 month old iPod (purchased from Apple) is dead after
the iOS 5 updates last week. After the Lion migration, my MacBook was
dead. And post Lion, Xcode 4.2 is flaky as hell. Clang/LLVM can't even
compile correct programs from previous versions of Xcode.

Its nice to be a consumer hardware company.

Jeff