funsec mailing list archives

Re: Query for the very old: .SDN archive

From: Nick FitzGerald <nick () virus-l demon co uk>
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2012 16:22:20 +1300

Rob Slade to me:

Shareware Distributors Network

   http://www.fileinfo.com/extension/sdn

Ah.

Anybody remember what this was?  Anybody know what would open it?

ARJ according to the above webpage.

Well, they, apparently, got it wrong.  I've tried two versions of ARJ, and neither
likes it.  (Neither does LHA.  Or TAR.)

Perhaps a really early DOS version of ARJ did handle it?

I seem to recall "wars" between early archiver developers, where they
would, and then would not, support various of their "competitors'"
formats, sometimes for legal reasons.  A particularly ugly incident
like this is what prompted Phil Katz to release the ZIP format to the
public domain (remember APPNOTE.TXT ?).

Anyway, following private Email, Rob sent me the file and having seen
it, it was easy -- the first two bytes were 0x1A 0x0B, followed by the
first filename in the archive, which should be PAK.

I dug up the last DOS version of PAK I could find -- Pak 2.51 Copyright
1988-90 NoGate Consulting -- and sure enough, it handled the file just
fine...

Regards,

Nick FitzGerald