funsec mailing list archives

Re: Who's Who phish

From: Drsolly <drsollyp () drsolly com>
Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2012 23:41:49 +0000 (GMT)

I wonder if they'd like to join the International Association of
Successful International Associations?

On Wed, 4 Jan 2012, Rob, grandpa of Ryan, Trevor, Devon & Hannah wrote:

And here, I thought I was finally famous.  It's so disappointing.

I got a "Weekly Follow-up from the National Academic Association."  I suppose
it doesn't really matter that I'd never heard of them, let alone weekly, because it
came from the "Academic Association."

"Hello Candidate," it starts, and goes on to tell me that "As the school year opens,
the Who’s Who Among Executives and Professionals begin a global search for
accomplished individuals in both faculty and administrative roles at post-
secondary institutions of learning."

Could this possibly be a job offer?  They apparently need me to "verify your
contact information so that we can properly publish your updated credentials
alongside 30,000 of your prestigious peers. Such a listing can only bring you
increased visibility and networking opportunities within the scholastic
community."  Only 30,000!  Such a select group!

Alas, when I actually went to the site
http://www.wittersphere.info/YM40/53/1338/710177.1/4/13295/1600293/3O80?g
y=?qqu06/vc/ld-99505.g78
(tested with a safe browser, but it doesn't actually seem to be feeding malware)
it turned out to be the "International Association of Successful Individuals."
Therefore, I don't qualify, but no doubt a number of you do, so I'm letting you
know  :-)

======================  (quote inserted randomly by Pegasus Mailer)
rslade () vcn bc ca     slade () victoria tc ca     rslade () computercrime org
I won't stand for it, and I'm not going to take it lying down,
so I guess I'll just have to sit it out.              - Larry Wall
victoria.tc.ca/techrev/rms.htm http://www.infosecbc.org/links
http://blogs.securiteam.com/index.php/archives/author/p1/
http://twitter.com/rslade