funsec mailing list archives

Google Docs illegal in Norway

From: Robert Slade <rmslade () shaw ca>
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2012 10:20:19 -0800

http://www.infosecurity-magazine.com/view/23463/use-of-google-docs-is-illegal-in-norway/

This is of particular interest to me right at this moment, because I'm in a meeting, and one of our exec has mentioned
our files directory.  Our site is hosted by Google, and our files are, of course, on Google Docs.  ( www.ismsug.org ,
in case anyone is interested.)

However, I've got to say that the only thing that surprises me about "Inspectorate states that the EU-US Safe Harbor
agreement does not adequately guarantee data protection in the face of the US Patriot Act. The Patriot Act gives the US
government the right and ability to demand personal data on any person anywhere in the world if that data is held
anywhere in the world by a US company - such as Google" is that it has taken so long for someone to object.  My home
province passed legislation a few years back stating that no American company, or company that stores data in the US,
can bid on medical info systems.  For exactly this reason.

rslade () computercrime org  slade () victoria tc ca  rslade () vcn bc ca
"If you do buy a computer, don't turn it on."     - Richards' 2nd Law