funsec mailing list archives

Re: Really awful TV news report on virus (from 1988)

From: "Rob, grandpa of Ryan, Trevor, Devon & Hannah" <rmslade () shaw ca>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2012 14:09:06 -0700

From:                   Steve Pirk <pirkster () gmail com>
Date sent:              Sun, 10 Jun 2012 15:22:45 -0700

I thought Morris was an email worm. It was not supposed to become a worm
(much to the surprise of the author), but if I recall correctly, it played
hell with your email spooler trying to replicate itself to all the other
machines your server could communicate with.

I can't recall, off hand, if Morris had *anything* to do with email, but it was
primarily a straight network daemon classic worm.  You may be confusing it with
the (year) earlier "CHRISMA exec," which did stuff up mail queues.

I believe the author was quite
upset he messed things up like he did.

Bob Jr's statement that he intended it to be more limited seems to ring true, but it
was definitely supposed to be a worm.

That difference might also explain Rob's comment about the "mishmash of
misinformation".

Oh, there is plenty of confusion in that report.  As someone noted, they mention
aspects specific to BSIs and file infectors, as if there were only one virus.  (I think
there is also a reference to the SCORES Mac virus in there if you know the history
...)

======================  (quote inserted randomly by Pegasus Mailer)
rslade () vcn bc ca     slade () victoria tc ca     rslade () computercrime org
         If it's     there and you can   see it, it's real
         If it's     there and you can't see it, it's transparent
         If it's not there and you can   see it, it's virtual
         If it's not there and you can't see it, it's *gone*
victoria.tc.ca/techrev/rms.htm http://www.infosecbc.org/links
http://blogs.securiteam.com/index.php/archives/author/p1/
http://twitter.com/rslade