funsec mailing list archives

The Facebook Commandments

From: "Rob, grandpa of Ryan, Trevor, Devon & Hannah" <rmslade () shaw ca>
Date: Wed, 2 May 2012 12:03:44 -0700

I've always been interested in "netiquette."  (Almost 25 years ago I created a set of
"rules of Internet Order" which can still be found, although mostly on mailing list
archives.)  Recent research has found a number of "commandments" common to
Facebook users, and quantified them:
http://www.vancouversun.com/technology/Facebook+Commandments/6552868/sto
ry.html

The result?

The REAL 10 Commandments of Facebook

Of the 36 friendship rules identified by researchers, these were the most followed.
Listed in order of endorsement.

1. Thou shalt expect a response after posting on someone's profile.

2. Thou shalt refrain from being disrespectful.

3. Thou shalt consider how a post might negatively affect someone's relationships.

4. If a post is deleted by someone, thou shalt not repost it.

5. Thou shalt communicate with Facebook friends outside of Facebook.

6. Thou shalt present oneself positively but honestly.

7. Thou shalt not let Facebooking with someone interfere with work.

8. Thou shalt not post information on Facebook that could later backfire.

9. Thou shalt use common sense when interacting with someone.

10. Thou shalt consider how a post might negatively affect someone's career.

Disappointingly banal.

======================  (quote inserted randomly by Pegasus Mailer)
rslade () vcn bc ca     slade () victoria tc ca     rslade () computercrime org
We learn from experience that men never learn anything from
experience.                                    - George Bernard Shaw
victoria.tc.ca/techrev/rms.htm http://www.infosecbc.org/links
http://blogs.securiteam.com/index.php/archives/author/p1/
http://twitter.com/rslade