funsec mailing list archives

Malformed input?

From: "Rob, grandpa of Ryan, Trevor, Devon & Hannah" <rmslade () shaw ca>
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2012 16:06:07 -0700

Came back to the computer after some time away, to find the sun shining full on
the desk and part of the screen.  And, of course, the screen has blanked from lack
of input during that time.

So, I pull the drapes forward to shade the screen--and the screen pops up, even
though I haven't touched the keyboard or the mouse.

Considering this, I realize that a) it's an optical mouse, and b) it was on the part of
the desk that was in the sun, and is now shaded when I pulled the drapes.

So, being a security geek, I start to wonder:

a) how the system interpretted that light?
b) how hard it would be to figure out how to get a laser to create specific "actions"
on the computer?  (And if the optical sensor's range is wide enough that you can
do it with an IR laser, so the user doesn't realize what you are doing?)

======================  (quote inserted randomly by Pegasus Mailer)
rslade () vcn bc ca     slade () victoria tc ca     rslade () computercrime org
There's no eating or drinking in the galleries.  - security guard
at the Metropolitan Museum of Art explaining why breastfeeding or
nursing in public (NIP) should not be allowed in the institution
victoria.tc.ca/techrev/rms.htm http://www.infosecbc.org/links
http://blogs.securiteam.com/index.php/archives/author/p1/
http://twitter.com/rslade