funsec mailing list archives

Censorship with a broad brush

From: "Rob, grandpa of Ryan, Trevor, Devon & Hannah" <rmslade () shaw ca>
Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2012 14:52:39 -0700

Just in case you have been hiding under a (Higgs or non-Higgs) rock for the past
few weeks, TomKat is breaking up [1].  Tom Cruise is a highly visible
Scientologist.  Many people have been commenting on possible Scientology
aspects of the breakup.  Scientology seems to break out in a rash whenever anyone
mentions the cult.

So, someone has provided a simple means for Scientologists to try and ensure that
any mention of Scientology, or the event, or anything, is removed.
http://j.mp/LHl8CJ
or
http://markrathbun.wordpress.com/2012/07/05/scientology-inc-wants-to-censor-
cruiseholmes-break-up-news/

The main thrust of the instruction is that everybody will have a "code of conduct"
on their Website, and every code of conduct will ban anything that "defames,
degradesÂ… an individual or group," or something similar.  So, you just blanket
object to everything on that basis.

I think it should work pretty well.  I'd say that, following Lord Northcliffe's
dictum that "News is what somebody, somewhere wants to suppress.  All the rest is
advertising," any interesting posting could be seen, by someone, as defaming or
degrading some individual or group ...

[1] Never mind: I didn't know who/what/where TomKat was until a few days ago.
It's only marginally germane to the point. [2]

[2] And I would *never* defame or degrade you for not knowing that.  Unless it
was really, really funny.

======================  (quote inserted randomly by Pegasus Mailer)
rslade () vcn bc ca     slade () victoria tc ca     rslade () computercrime org
The Lord answered Moses, `Is the Lord's arm too short?  You will
now see whether or not what I say will come true for you.'
                                                    -  Numbers 11:23
victoria.tc.ca/techrev/rms.htm http://www.infosecbc.org/links
http://blogs.securiteam.com/index.php/archives/author/p1/
http://twitter.com/rslade