funsec mailing list archives

Re: Petraeus

From: mark seiden <mis () seiden com>
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2012 20:34:45 +0100

two comments:

1. i don't know if you noticed that petraeus and paula were sharing a password for a
gmail account and leaving drafts for each other.

so no actual mail transmitted the network.

so far the only factoid that has not leaked out is the content of the harassing mail
that made paula a POI in the first place.   i would like to see if it rises to the bar
of being a threat.  it's usually really hard for a victim to get anyone to investigate these
things, because the threats would not be considered by a reasonable person as either
specific nor credible.

(i worked as an expert on a case where a federal judge was threatened so i know
a bit about the general subject).

2. it's more important to be able to manage intelligence as the head of the CIA than to
perform operations yourself.

the manner in which the fbi is selectivly leaking stored communication without any
criminal charges being filed is incredible to me.   i don't think petraeus should have
resigned, either.

i recommend you all read the joe nocera op-ed on this subject

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/17/opinion/nocera-hacking-general-petraeus.html

which begins:

"This is not going to end well for the F.B.I.".