funsec mailing list archives

Re: Whya can't my laptop figure out what time zone I'm in, like my cell phone does?

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Thu, 06 Dec 2012 23:27:27 -0500

On Thu, 06 Dec 2012 12:47:12 -0700, "Rob Slade, doting Grandpa of Rayn, Trevor, Devon, and Hannah" said:
Computers can find out (or somebody can find out) where a specific computer
is when they are on the net.  (And you have to be on the net to get time
updates.)  Some Websites use this (sometimes startlingly accurate) information
in a variety of amusing (and sometimes annoying or frightening) ways.  So it is
quite possible for a laptop to find out what time zone it is in, when it
updates the time.

Well, sure - *if* you're willing to accept the fact that if geolocation gets it
wrong, you just missed your meeting.  And it's not perfect.  Don't believe me,
wander over to the NANOG archives and search for all the postings where people
have gotten screwed over because they're in New Jersey but somebody's
geolocation thinks they are in France...