funsec mailing list archives

Church deacon charged with child pornography possession

From: Jeffrey Walton <noloader () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 2 Mar 2013 22:02:23 -0500

More data insecurity in the cloud. I'm inclined to overlook the
transgression in this case.

When broadcast earlier, local stations reported the images were stored
in Verizon's cloud, and Verizon Online Service alerted authorities.
More interesting, Google indexed a bunch of articles on "William
Albaugh" and "verizon cloud", but it appears references to Verizon
have been removed. I checked seven of them so I could cite the
reference (wbaltv.com, baltimore.cbslocal.com, baltimoresun.com,
wbal.com, nbcwashington.com, and abc2news.com). Confer:
https://www.google.com/#q=William++Albaugh+verizon+cloud.

Verizom claims the data is encrypted in transit, and can be password
protected in storage (confer:
https://www22.verizon.com/Support/Residential/Internet/fiosinternet/general+support/essentials+and+extras/questionsone/85379.htm).
It begs the question: how did Verizon know to report this fellow? Did
filenames leak information? Was someone browsing storage data and
stumbled across the images?

Jeff