funsec mailing list archives

Why BC holds the record for "World's Weirdest Politicians"

From: "Rob, grandpa of Ryan, Trevor, Devon & Hannah" <rmslade () shaw ca>
Date: Thu, 9 May 2013 09:50:13 -0800

Whenever political pundits get together, they all start the competition for "our
politicians are more corrupt/venal/just plain weird than yours."  Whenever anyone
from BC enters the fray, everyone else concedes.

Herewith our latest saga:
http://www.vancouversun.com/technology/Liberals+refuse+remove+YouTube+vide
o+attacking+Adrian+with+video/8355209/story.html

The ruling "Today's BC Liberal Party" is finding itself polling behind the NDP.
(Do not let the word "liberal" in the party name fool you.  Whereas pretty much
every other liberal party would be centre-left, the BC Liberals are, politically,
somewhat to the right of Attila the Hun.)  The liberals are runing attack ads
stating that, twelve years ago, the leader of the NDP backdated a memo.

(No, I'm not making this up.)

The Liberals have just released another version of the same attack ad, this time
using a snippet of footage from the recent leaders debate.  Trouble is, the media
consortium that ran the debate has copyright on the video of the debate, and all
parties agreed that none of the material would be used for political purposes.

The Liberals, called on their use of the video, have refused to take it down.

(How old do you have to be to understand the meaning of "copyright
infringement?")

(I am eagerly awaiting the next installment of this story.  I assume the lawyers
paid for by Today's BC Liberals [or possibly by public money: that's happened
before] will argue the provisions of "fair use," [1] claim that the attack ads are
commentary, or even educational ...)

[1] - http://cyberlaw.stanford.edu/blog/2007/03/fairy-use-tale

======================  (quote inserted randomly by Pegasus Mailer)
rslade () vcn bc ca     slade () victoria tc ca     rslade () computercrime org
All truth is one.  In this light, may science and religion
endeavor here for the steady evolution of mankind, from darkness
to light, from narrowness to broad-mindedness, from prejudice to
tolerance.  It is the voice of life, which calls us to come and
learn.        - inscription on Hayes Hall tower bell at SUNY Buffalo
victoria.tc.ca/techrev/rms.htm http://www.infosecbc.org/links
http://blogs.securiteam.com/index.php/archives/author/p1/
http://twitter.com/rslade