funsec mailing list archives

Re: Huawei

From: Bruce Ediger <bediger () stratigery com>
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2013 18:47:33 -0600 (MDT)

On Mon, 22 Jul 2013, Rob, grandpa of Ryan, Trevor, Devon & Hannah wrote:

"Huawei Is a Security Threat and There's Proof, Says Hayden"

However, they are not going to tell you what the proof is.

I assumed that because it was Hayden, that was just more "Let's keep
the Cyberwar Boogieman going, because otherwise, how will we keep the
pig's trough with taxpayer dollars?"

I mean, the End of Communism was pretty tough on the Beltway Bandits.
People wanted a Peace Dividend.

I'm not personally familiar with what Huawei sells. Is there some way
to slip data back to Unit 61398? I suppose you could use some kind of
covert channel, but given the amount of data available, wouldn't that
amount overwhelm any side channels?

If you just used IP packets, wouldn't they be visible on other company's
routers and egress filtering appliances?  What other kind of packets
could get routed from a random Huawei box in a telecomm center back to
Shanghai?

--
-NSA--CIA--FBI--NRO--TSA--JENKEM--DHS--BUTTHASH--TIARA--GCHQ--ECHELON--
          As for you government types intercepting this,