funsec mailing list archives

Outsourcing, and rebranding, (national) security

From: "Rob, grandpa of Ryan, Trevor, Devon & Hannah" <rmslade () shaw ca>
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2013 11:21:17 -0700

I was thinking about the recent trend, in the US, for "outsourcing" and
"privatization" of security functions, in order to reduce (government) costs.  For
example, we know, from the Snowden debacle, that material he, ummm,
"obtained," was accessed while he was working for a contractor that was working
for the NSA.  The debacle also figured in my thinking, particularly the PR fall-out
and disaster.

Considering both these trends; outsourcing and PR, I see an opportunity here.
The government needs to reduce costs (or increase revenue).  At the same time,
there needs to be a rebranding effort, in order to restore tarnished images.

Sports teams looking for revenue (or cost offsets) have been allowing corporate
sponsors to rename, or "rebrand," arenas.  Why not allow corporations to sponsor
national security programs, and rebrand them?

For example: PRISM has become a catch-phrase for all that is wrong with
surveillance of the general public.  Why not allow someone like, say, DeBeers to
step in.  For a price (which would offset the millions being paid to various tech
companies for "compliance") it could be rebranded as DIAMOND, possibly with a
new slogan like "A database is forever!"

I think the possibilities are endless, and should be explored.

======================  (quote inserted randomly by Pegasus Mailer)
rslade () vcn bc ca     slade () victoria tc ca     rslade () computercrime org
Orwell feared that the truth would be concealed from us.  Huxley
feared the truth would be drowned in a sea of irrelevance.
                                                      - Neil Postman
victoria.tc.ca/techrev/rms.htm http://www.infosecbc.org/links
http://blogs.securiteam.com/index.php/archives/author/p1/
http://twitter.com/rslade