funsec mailing list archives

Risk management and security theatre

From: "Rob, grandpa of Ryan, Trevor, Devon & Hannah" <rmslade () shaw ca>
Date: Mon, 9 Sep 2013 09:52:01 -0700

Bruce Schneier is often outrageous, these days, but generally worth reading.  In a
piece for Forbes in late August, he made the point that, due to fear and the extra
trouble casued by TSA regulations, more people were driving rather than flying,
and, thus, more people were dying.

https://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2013/09/excess_automobi.html

"The inconvenience of extra passenger screening and added costs at airports after
9/11 cause many short-haul passengers to drive to their destination instead, and,
since airline travel is far safer than car travel, this has led to an increase of 500
U.S. traffic fatalities per year."

So, by six years after the event, the TSA had killed more US citizens than had the
terrorists.  And continues to kill them.

Given the recent NSA revelations, I suppose this will sound like more US-bashing,
but I don't see it that way.  It's another example of the importance of *real* risk
management, taking all factors into account.

======================  (quote inserted randomly by Pegasus Mailer)
rslade () vcn bc ca     slade () victoria tc ca     rslade () computercrime org
Book (n): a utensil used to pass time while waiting for TV repair.
victoria.tc.ca/techrev/rms.htm http://www.infosecbc.org/links
http://blogs.securiteam.com/index.php/archives/author/p1/
http://twitter.com/rslade