funsec mailing list archives

419ers relying on copyright?

From: "Rob, grandpa of Ryan, Trevor, Devon & Hannah" <rmslade () shaw ca>
Date: Sat, 9 Nov 2013 11:09:04 -0800

Amongst my spam, this morning, was rather an oddity:

Apparently from:
From: darahman147 () live com
Subject: Claims Notice
Date: 09 Nov 2013 02:12:00 -0800

The message had a whole bunch of hypened lines printed across the page, and then:

****  Commercial use of this software is prohibited  ****
**** Please purchase a license to remove this notice ****

There was the usual:

Congratulations,you have won two million pounds on the o2 mobile
ltd  promo lotto.Please Contact Dr.Matt West,email:
matthew_west37 () o2 co uk for payment.

and then another copyright notice.

Now, my first thought was that it was maybe an attempt to sound legal and
official, but then I started to wonder if this was maybe an unlicensed copy of
"iSpam," which "Advanced-Fee-Fraudsters-Backwards-R-Us" was trying to protet
from use by "Joe's Basement Nigerian Spam Corporation" ...

======================  (quote inserted randomly by Pegasus Mailer)
rslade () vcn bc ca     slade () victoria tc ca     rslade () computercrime org
My son was a one-man, unpaid band, drumming up excitement about,
and interest in, the space program in a way that made me both
proud and grateful.  For years my kids had rolled their eyes
whenever I launched into a sermon about the importance of public
service.  But Evan had outed himself: he was a Samaritan in
cynic's clothing.
           - Chris Hadfield, `An Astronaut's Guide to Life on Earth'
victoria.tc.ca/techrev/rms.htm http://www.infosecbc.org/links
http://blogs.securiteam.com/index.php/archives/author/p1/
http://twitter.com/rslade