funsec mailing list archives

My Choice? No, thanks.

From: "Rob, grandpa of Ryan, Trevor, Devon & Hannah" <rmslade () shaw ca>
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2013 16:32:25 -0800

UPS is out to steal your data.  They want you to give it to them.

 http://articles.latimes.com/2013/oct/28/business/la-fi-lazarus-20131029

In the beginning (and you can go back and check the RISKS-Forum Digest
archives), UPS deployed those clipboards with the digitizing pads for signatures.
And we hollered and said that next they'd be selling databases of signatures (with
associated names and addresses).  And they said they'd never do that.  Then they
did that.

If any of you receive packages via UPS that cross borders, you also know that
they charge exhorbitant "brokerage fees" for doing so, and will turn those over to
collection agencies at the drop of a hat.  (I just had that happen to me again
yesterday.)  So I heartily second the recommendation to avoid "My Choice" like
the plague: once they get their hooks in, they aren't going to let go.

(We like the guys at the local UPS Store franchise for photocopying and other
small office services, but I try to avoid dealing with the central company for
anything.  Including shipping.)

======================  (quote inserted randomly by Pegasus Mailer)
rslade () vcn bc ca     slade () victoria tc ca     rslade () computercrime org
A man is not old until regrets take the place of dreams.
                                                    - John Barrymore
victoria.tc.ca/techrev/rms.htm http://www.infosecbc.org/links
http://blogs.securiteam.com/index.php/archives/author/p1/
http://twitter.com/rslade