funsec mailing list archives

Obfuscation = cryptography?

From: "Rob, grandpa of Ryan, Trevor, Devon & Hannah" <rmslade () shaw ca>
Date: Mon, 3 Feb 2014 16:28:28 -0800

OK, I'll admit that the math in this type of paper is completely beyond me.

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2014/02/cryptography-breakthrough/

But, hasn't he, or any of his friends, paid any attention to malware in the past two
decades?  There is plenty of obfuscation out there.  (Most of it does what his
program does: turn little programs into bloated monsters.)

Admittedly, this is an academic analysis of the foundations of what you can do,
and probably will, eventually, with a lot of development, provide for a number of
applications.

But I'm going to want to see a lot more explanation (by someone who understands
what he has been told) before I'm going to get excited about this.

======================  (quote inserted randomly by Pegasus Mailer)
rslade () vcn bc ca     slade () victoria tc ca     rslade () computercrime org
Congress ... shall make no law abridging the freedom of sXXXch,
the right of the people peaceably to XXXemble, and to peXXXion
the government for a redress of grievances.
                   - from the First Amendment to the US ConsXXXution
victoria.tc.ca/techrev/rms.htm http://www.infosecbc.org/links
http://blogs.securiteam.com/index.php/archives/author/p1/
http://twitter.com/rslade