funsec mailing list archives

Re: Secrets, lies and Snowden's email: why I was forced to shut down Lavabit

From: Jerry <sec-acct.14 () oryx cc>
Date: Wed, 21 May 2014 21:43:06 -0500

Hello Jeffrey,

thanks for posting this.

I was not familiar with Lavabit, till after all the bad stuff had happened to them and they had shut down.

After your post, I was poking around looking at their stuff in the WayBack Machine and wondering about their business model.

<https://web.archive.org/web/20120504011429/http://lavabit.com/index.html>

I didn't see any ads or anything else. I'm assuming that they were selling enough Enhanced and Premium accounts to pay for equipment, COLO and developers for the custom in-house code/email server that they hint at here.

<https://web.archive.org/web/20120507061800/http://lavabit.com/hardware_software.html>

"For incoming SMTP and POP connections, we use a custom e-mail server developed by the Lavabit programming team. The e-mail server is written entirely in C and compiled using GCC."

Either way, looks like they were doing some neat stuff.

Jerry