funsec mailing list archives

Re: Driverless cars could be lethal - FBI

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Sat, 19 Jul 2014 21:02:39 -0400

On Sat, 19 Jul 2014 15:44:45 -0700, "Rob, grandpa of Ryan, Trevor, Devon & Hannah" said:
http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-28344219

Seems to me that nobody in the FBI is reading the traffic fatality statistics
obtained on cars driven by humans.

(OK, yes, the feebies seem to be concerned about automated cars that allow the
passenger to shoot back at you.  But isn't that already happening anyway?)

"And, under the heading "Multitasking", the FBI said that "bad actors will be
able to conduct tasks that require use of both hands or taking one's eyes off
the road which would be impossible today". That raised the prospect that
suspected criminals would be able to fire weapons at pursuing police cars."

Drivers are apparently already quite capable of applying lipstick, shaving, and
updating spreadsheets in rush-hour traffic, I'm not seeing any new threats
here?