funsec mailing list archives

NSA is missing a trick, here ...

From: "Rob, grandpa of Ryan, Trevor, Devon & Hannah" <rmslade () shaw ca>
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2015 11:32:23 -0700

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/04/science/for-sympathetic-ear-more-chinese-
turn-to-smartphone-program.html

"Since Xiaoice collects vast amounts of intimate details on individuals, the
program inevitably raises questions about usersÂ’ privacy."

Siri, Cortona, Xiaoice, etc.  At least with Facebook you have to semi-deliberately
share your deepest secrets with the world.  But who is going to remember (or
guard) what they say to a chatbot?

Maybe the NSA isn't missing a trick.  Depends upon whether they are funding the
next-generation, cross-platform, voice-response chatbot cum search engine cum
digital friend/assistant.

Maybe the movie "Her" should have been titled "She."  As in "She Who Must Be
Obeyed" ...

======================  (quote inserted randomly by Pegasus Mailer)
rslade () vcn bc ca     slade () victoria tc ca     rslade () computercrime org
Phryne Fisher: I really am very sorry, Jack, that you're in so
               much hot water because of me.
Jack Robinson: Don't be remorseful; it only confuses me.
                                    - Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries
victoria.tc.ca/techrev/rms.htm http://www.infosecbc.org/links
http://blogs.securiteam.com/index.php/archives/author/p1/
http://twitter.com/rslade