Honeypots mailing list archives

Re: Kernel-level Rootkits

From: Dominik Lupinski <yhpx () alpha net pl>
Date: Mon, 9 Dec 2002 18:38:11 +0100

On Sun, Dec 08, 2002 at 06:33:47PM -0800, Edward Ray wrote:

Hello everyone.

  Hello,

A question concerning Kernel-level rootkits.

Has anyone used a kernel-level rootkit (i.w. Knark, Adore, KIS) in a
honeypot implementation?

It would appear to have a few advantages, but only in the hands of someone
who knew how to use it correctly.

  Yes, IMHO such solution with kernel modules could give you low-level control
  on honeypot with abilities to log whatever you want apart from user-land
  utilities and also hide certain tools, firewall rules, connections, etc.

If anybody has experimented with kernel-level rootkits, I would be
interested in your results, as I am considering using a rootkit (after I
learn how it works of course) in a honeypot of my own.

  Actualy, I have been working on it for a few weeks. My implementation is
  heading into FreeBSD systems. I think I'll end up with first usable version
  in two months or so. If you're interested in having your honeypot on
  FreeBSD, I'd be glad to let you test it. :)

Regards,
--
0A 0D 0A 2D 2D 20 0D 0A 44 6F 6D 69 6E 69 6B 20  ...-- ..Dominik
4C 75 70 69 6E 73 6B 69 20 2F 2F 20 79 68 70 78  Lupinski // yhpx