Honeypots mailing list archives

RE: http fake service

From: "Alberto Gonzalez" <albertg () cerebro wwjh net>
Date: Sun, 9 Feb 2003 12:08:01 -0800

Well,

  Mos't attackers/worms identify a server with its banner. With a HTTP
emulation (fake) you can emulate ANY banner you want. If this is a
research honeypot, you will probably be receiving plenty of exploits if
you emulate some old vulnerabile IIS stuff[1]. Take Bigeye for instance,
bigeye will allow you to specify which banner you would like to use upon
starting bigeye, so you can have multiple emulation of HTTP servers.
Though bigeye is based mostly on research, you will gain plenty of
information from an intruder who is just 'spraying and praying' with
some new toy, or throws some new exploit at you, and you know have a
nice packet dump to investigate.

Has anyone done a CGI based Honeypot? Instead of just giving an attacker
a vulnerable OS, or emulate something with honeyd (and the likes?). I'm
interested to see if anyone has attempted to put a vulnerable CGI(a
known one) and give the intruder a chroot() environment and see what
they do?

Cheers!
  Alberto Gonzalez

[1] - I know most people are after unknown stuff, but small site
honeypots tend not to get hit with those, high profile sites (*.sun.com,
etc...) will get hit with that stuff, that's not to say they aren't
running honeypots.

---
"The secret to success is to start from scratch and keep on scratching.