Honeypots mailing list archives

Re: New whitepaper released & a question to the community

From: Bill McCarty <bmccarty () apu edu>
Date: Sun, 02 Mar 2003 19:42:59 -0800

--On Sunday, March 02, 2003 4:53 PM -0500 Michael Anuzis
<michael_anuzis () hotmail com> wrote:

Could anyone
out there who is currently/actively running successful honeypots offer me
any advice on which OS/vulnerability (bait) I may try if I want to catch
some of today's hackers?

Hi Michael,

FTP exploits remain in common use. But, many attackers use broken tools or
don't use their tools properly. So, I'd expect you to see FTP attacks
regularly, but compromises only seldom.

RPC attacks are also still common. Successful compromises via RPC are
unusual, like those via FTP.

For RHL 7.2, exploits targetting the OpenSSL vulnerability in Apache are
becoming quite common. However, a successful attack confers only non-root
access. Thereafter, many attackers seem unable to escalate their privileges
to root.

That's my current experience in a nutshell. I have some reason to believe
that it generalizes rather broadly.

Good hunting,

Bill McCarty