Honeypots mailing list archives

Re: Free/Open Source Disk Imaging Tools

From: George Bakos <gbakos () ists dartmouth edu>
Date: Fri, 7 Feb 2003 11:46:22 -0500

On Fri, 7 Feb 2003 00:10:05 -0500
"crazytrain.com" <subscribe () crazytrain com> wrote:

George

just some thoughts;

1) bandwidth

All forensic imaging should be pulled using a crossover cable or passive
layer 1 device (hub) with no other hosts on the wire. If you aren't
concerned with preserving evidentiary value and admissability, you needn't
be quite so diligent.

If using a switched, rather than shared, network, bandwidth shouldn't be
an issue. Even if so, by keeping your honeypot partitions to a reasonable
size, you'll keep any bandwidth clobber to a minimum. I pull 2GB over
switched fast ethernet using dd and nc in a little over 4 minutes.

Another technique we use here in the forensic testbed: target systems
(hpots) with 2 hot-swap SCSI drives and a RAID5 storage server with the
same drives & one empty bay. We just pop out the drive to be imaged, stick
it in the storage server & dd across the backplane. W00t!

2) cleartext

See #1 and use cryptcat instead of nc if you need to use shared media.

3) dropped connection

dd is a block-orineted utility that reports on blocks (records)
succesfully read in and out. You can easily resume a partial session with
the 'skip' option, picking up where you left off.

So you can see where you may suck down bandwidth, send via clear text
susceptible to sniffing (cryptcat would alleviate that but increase
overhead), and if your connection drops, ouch!  Do not pass go, do not
collect $200, start over!

I mostly do my imaging via 'dd' and write it to an external 1394 drive.
Super fast, no CPU cycles, no dropped network connections, no sniffing,
and I'm happy :)

If you're happy, we're all happy. Cheers!

--
George Bakos
Institute for Security Technology Studies