Honeypots mailing list archives

RE: Honeytokens and detection

From: "LAVELLE,MICHAEL \(HP-PaloAlto,ex1\)" <mlavelle () hp com>
Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2003 10:10:36 -0500

Lance,

In my mind, taking this a step further, there is no reason such information
"should" cross the ISP gateway destined for external addresses, unless it is
pre-arranged. Planting some honeytokens makes a lot of sense, and these
records can be labeled as test records. When the IDS detects these records
transiting toward the ISP gateway, it can ring alarms, or perhaps kill the
tcp session to stop the leak. If the transfer is intentional, then you can
temporarily allow it.

Your idea sounds very interesting...thanks for sharing it.

Cheers,

Mike
Mike Lavelle
Network Security Consultant