Honeypots mailing list archives

Re: Honeypot Defintion - Almost There, or a new path?

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Sun, 25 May 2003 15:46:43 -0400

On Sat, 24 May 2003 10:32:32 EDT, "Bernie, CTA" said:

Honeypot:
"An automated computer system for detecting erroneous,
unauthorized or illicit use of system resources."

I suspect this is waaay too broad, as it includes almost all IDS systems
and security packages.

Did you *really* mean to say that a bank that runs a program to scan the
RACF (resource access control facility) logs on its MVS mainframe to check
for failed file opens or login attempts is running a honeypot on said mainframe?

I run logsentry on some of our SGI boxes.  It reports an "out of swap space"
error every once in a while when a researcher gets a bit over-exuberant.
It's automated, it's catching an erroneous use of system resources, but
it certainly doesn't smell like a honeypot to me.