Honeypots mailing list archives

RE: Honeypot Defintion - over thinking it.

From: Jon Price <jon () nytimes com>
Date: Mon, 26 May 2003 01:32:29 -0400

At 10:01 PM 5/25/2003 -0700, Kohlenberg, Toby wrote:
While it's a good attempt, I think you've over-constrained/over-defined the term. Consider- the purpose of a honeypot might have nothing to do with learning about hacking techniques and thereby improving
security.

Yes, I see your point.

For instance, you might set one up as a trap to find internal attackers.

Also, as with many art forms, I think that in giving a definition, you want to remove anything that isn't essential. Hence the comment about a honeypot usually being a dedicated computer should be removed. It might be accurate, but it doesn't
add anything essential to the definition.

I agree.

In addition, I think we can and should remove the term "system" from the first sentance.

right.

Perhaps:
A honeypot is a security tool, consisting of a system or dataset for which there is no legitimate reason for anyone to interact with and therefore _all_ use can be considered unauthorized. The system or dataset is usually configured to easily allow
attackers to access it in order to entice them.

Sounds good to me.

That captures the key points I've heard so far:
You want attackers to go to honeypots.
and
No one has a legitimate reason for being on a honeypot.

right, those are the key points.

But it doesn't add any constraints about what else you might do with a honeypot. I think the last sentance is awkward, any suggestions
on rephrasing it?

I like the term "entice".

toby