Honeypots mailing list archives

Re: Watching Spammer

From: jm () jmason org (Justin Mason)
Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 11:48:12 -0700

le7f73302 () sneakemail com said:

I've caught a spammer trying to relay off of my honeypot.  I've been
watching the bastard for about a week. I have his IP and such.  Should I
report to his ISP or is there a spammers "list" I could put that IP in?
Thanks in advance.

If you can capture some spam, and it's illegal Make Money Fast-type
scamming, you could try getting in touch with the FTC.

Also, www.spamhaus.org may be interested in terms of collecting and
collating evidence, modus operandi, details of tools/networks, etc.
I'd strongly recommend that.

Finally, if there's some indication that he's coming from a jurisdiction
where some spamming techniques (e.g. obfuscation of source etc.) is
illegal, the local police might be interested.  Not sure how useful
this is, though, since it's viewed as a small-time crime and will
not get much priority.

Spamhaus is probably your best bet for getting results, like BL listings
etc.

--j.