Honeypots mailing list archives

Re: Registry and File Monitoring Programs for Windows Honeypots

From: "Randy Welborn" <randy () securecomp net>
Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2003 14:28:59 -0400

----- Original Message -----
From: "Chris Brenton" <cbrenton () chrisbrenton org>
To: <honeypots () securityfocus com>
Sent: Sunday, August 31, 2003 10:49 AM
Subject: Re: Registry and File Monitoring Programs for Windows Honeypots

Mark E. Donaldson wrote:
Although it was made for cloning Windows systems, the W2K Resource
Kit
Utility "Sysdiff" is excellent for detecting "any" change that
occurs in a
Windows machine.

There has been some cool tool ideas suggested, but I guess it really
comes down to what you are using the honeypot for. If its to see what
specific worm or rootkit does to a system, the tools mentioned are
cool
as you can easily do a before and after snapshot (one caveat, the tool
should always do an MD5 and/or SHA-1 check of the file).

If its for a honeypot that will be hanging on the wire however, you
typically want to see these things live as they happen. Some criteria
look for:

Monitor file system changes
Monitor new processes that get launched in memory
Little to no extra software on the system to suggest its a honeypot
Some way to record all this data off to a remote (secured) system

Ummm, "grr" will do all the above and is a small little utility that
I've used for years with windows systems. Well written, stable, small
footprint. And No, I don't know the author but Do recommend it highly.

http://www.greyware.com/software/grr/index.asp

There are plenty of tools to do all this on the UNIX side. I'm not
exactly sure how you would pull it off on the Windows side, but maybe
Lance and others more savvy can chime in here.

Cheers all,
Chris

Best,
®andy