Honeypots mailing list archives

Re: Introducing the Tactical Honeynet Deployment Project

From: Lance Spitzner <lance () honeynet org>
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2003 08:00:59 -0500 (CDT)

On Mon, 1 Sep 2003 Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu wrote:

And a good honeypot should look like a production server to pull them
away from the true targets, right? I would think that df and ps should
turn up exactly what would look right for the machine it's supposed to
be. Or am I way off base?

One quick 'df' tells me if I'm on our production Oracle server or our test Oracle
server, because the test server has only one terabyte of disk on it.  Similarly
for 'ps'...

One of the common threads I've seen are people concerned about honeypots
being detected because of little activity.  As such, a great deal of
focus has been on adding more 'activity' to the honeypots.  Why not
take a different approach and deploy honeypots that are expected to have
less activity. For example, deploy a webserver, but have it 'under
construction'.  As its still being built, it would not have any production
traffic, and would have minimal activity.  Vladis, you mention the idea
of a test Oracle system. Why not create a honeypot that has the illusion
of being a test system? Or perhaps an outdated mail server that has been
shutdown, but one an admin has forgotten to remove from the network?

Just a though, there is always more then one direction to try out.

lance