Honeypots mailing list archives

Re: Openbsd Bridge Firewall

From: Pho Man <ph0k1n () yahoo com>
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2004 10:24:12 -0700 (PDT)

Hi all,

I have been working with OpenBSD bridging firewalls
for a while now (about a year, and I have built about
4-5 of them thus far).

I put together a FAQ online about OpenBSD bridging
firewalls that hopefully people will find useful.  If
anyone has time, please feel free to read:

http://staff.washington.edu/dougmc/firewall.html

Comments and criticism are very much appreciated, but
please reply to my email address only.

On that note, I really think OpenBSD bridging
firewalls are great.  Our network infrastructure is
really problematic because all our routers and
switches are controlled by a different department in a
different city, and it's all a public network.  As
such, we have little control over the network itself,
and these bridging firewalls have really saved the day
when it comes to protecting critical systems, or
potentially vulnerable systems.

Because they are a network bridge, we can just drop
them in front of critical systems, without having to
reconfigure anything (though one has to test the
firewall first of course).  Pf, also, is a very
sophisticated firewall software that protects against
spoofing, fragmentation, and other nasties.

--Pho Man

--- Lee Sheng <momosisco () hotmail com> wrote:
Hi,

Anyone know good links or guides/tutorials about
openbsd bridge firewall, i
don't mean the guides by openbsd website but other
sources. It seems a lot
of guides about this subject outdated and i need a
updated one since lacks
of documentations on this topic.

I think to get secure version of firewall, i must go
for pf since it really
has a lot of features that we can tweak, another
point is openbsd is secured
by default, with openbsd in bridge mode, i think it
would be cool.

I'm currently testing on my openbsd firewall and I
hope to get more
resources, any good books about openbsd also would
like to be introduced.
Thanks.

Regards,
Lee

Download ringtones, logos and picture messages from
MSN Malaysia
http://www.msn.com.my/mobile/ringtones/default.asp