Honeypots mailing list archives

Re: [Scadahoneynet-talk] Re: Honeypots for SCADA and industrial networks

From: Matthew Franz <mdfranz () io com>
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2004 08:30:26 -0500

Adam,

We are aren't running the honeypot on the PLC, but are using honeyd
(on a Linux box) to simulate the external interfaces of the PLC. So
that hasn't been an issue. Plus we are only simulating a base amount
of functional. Right now it isn't possible to actually program the
"PLC Honeypot" using RSLogix or whatever, and I'm not sure that would
be worth the effort.

- mdf

--
| Matthew Franz                              mdfranz () io com |
|              http://www.io.com/~mdfranz                   |

On the PLC side of things..... have you had much trouble with lack of
memory in the units? We use Koyo and Allen-Bradley PLC's all the time
and our programs just to run our equipment takes up most of the
availible memory. So, a honeypot application would be a bit bigger, right?

vkp wrote:

Hello,

We started out a project to investigate the feasibility of building a
software-based framework to simulate a variety of industrial networks
such as SCADA, DCS, and PLC architectures with some help from
existing tools like honeyd.

The project is on at http://scadahoneynet.sourceforge.net/.  We
would appreciate any suggestions, coments and help :)

Thanks.